Escort Radar Forum  

Go Back   Escort Radar Forum > Windshield Radar Detectors > Passport 9500ix, S75G

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old September 5th, 2013
Krazy-K's Avatar
Krazy-K Krazy-K is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Down North
Posts: 1,169
Default

I said earlier and worth repeating. Whenever leaving the vehicle either lock your RD (and mount) in the trunk or take it with you. If I go in to a movie, dinner, or hockey game that thing is outa sight. If not absolutely needed it stays home.

Once again I will say I am sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hang in there.

Last edited by Krazy-K; September 5th, 2013 at 09:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old September 5th, 2013
GregK's Avatar
GregK GregK is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Palatine, IL.
Posts: 716
Default

I would imagine that Escort can detect your serial number if someone is trying to update it. Its to bad they cannot send a signal to it, after connected to a computer, and tell the RD to shut down for good.

I don't understand why some of the technology would not be in use today ?
__________________
Greg
<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>
PLEASE...Help Save An Innocent Life !
www.aspca.org
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old September 5th, 2013
Chrisngrod Chrisngrod is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy-K View Post
I said earlier and worth repeating. Whenever leaving the vehicle either lock your RD (and mount) in the trunk or take it with you. If I go in to a movie, dinner, dinner or hockey game that thing is outa sight. If not absolutely needed it stays home.

Once again I will say I am sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hang in there.
You are a trooper. With the blend mount it takes more time to get it out. Security system is getting installed tomorrow.

That thing goes off and it's me in their face in less than 10 seconds. I know direct interaction with criminals isn't necessarily the best but I've spent enough time in the sand that I feel like I'm on borrowed time anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK View Post
I would imagine that Escort can detect your serial number if someone is trying to update it. Its to bad they cannot send a signal to it, after connected to a computer, and tell the RD to shut down for good.

I don't understand why some of the technology would not be in use today ?
Yep.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old September 5th, 2013
Krazy-K's Avatar
Krazy-K Krazy-K is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Down North
Posts: 1,169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisngrod View Post

That thing goes off and it's me in their face in less than 10 seconds. I know direct interaction with criminals isn't necessarily the best but I've spent enough time in the sand that I feel like I'm on borrowed time anyways.



Yep.
If it were me I wouldn't be jumping into any situation unless life depended on it. Too dangerous!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old September 5th, 2013
buckdharma's Avatar
buckdharma buckdharma is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 1,912
Default

Absolutely Krazy, No alarm helps with Smash and Grab. That's why the thief did not take the time to release it from the mirror. Took the whole thing and gone in seconds. FYI thieves usually use a spring loaded nail set on the window. And they like rainy days, can't hear the glass breaking. I lost 2 and it won't happen again! Don't get complacent about leaving it in sight.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy-K View Post
I said earlier and worth repeating. Whenever leaving the vehicle either lock your RD (and mount) in the trunk or take it with you. If I go in to a movie, dinner, or hockey game that thing is outa sight. If not absolutely needed it stays home.

Once again I will say I am sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hang in there.
__________________
Original Escort, Original Passport, Passport 3200 Wideband, Passport 1000 add on Laser Detector, GT2 G Timer, 8500, 8500X50, 9500i, 9500ix, IQ, Redline BS/RDR with SC55, Max, Max 360, Max 360c, LIVE, Redline 360c.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old September 6th, 2013
Chrisngrod Chrisngrod is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 12
Default

They actually ripped out a few more items. It had to at least take a minute.

My apt was no more than 10 ft away.

If they had just taken the radar detector that would have reduces my loses by 2/3rds.

Unsure of the method that was used to break the glass. It looked liked they threw a loaded drink cup through the window because there was soda everywhere. No drinks had been left in the vehicle. I understand about the complacency. The vehicle had been like this fine for an entire year. I began to leave more things in the vehicle.

I just can't see myself installing a radar detector when my daily commute is < 3mi round trip. Unfortunately, I'll have to plan trips and think whether or not it is worth it to even have the detector in the vehicle. At least this will make it pointless to get another one for my family vehicle. I already have the direct wire power cord setup from a previous trip.
__________________
Passport Max (almost)
Passport 9500ix (stolen)
Passport 8500 x50 (sold)

11B2P -> 37F2P Jumpmaster

Last edited by Chrisngrod; September 6th, 2013 at 08:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old September 6th, 2013
smokinu454's Avatar
smokinu454 smokinu454 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: The Bluegrass State
Posts: 1,258
Default

rule one never leave in plain sight it also helps to keep your suction cups stuck somewhere harder to see. its not un common for thieves to see unused windshield mounts and assume there is good stuff to be had. Another great solution is an aftermarket alarm. a viper responder 350 and glass break sensor can be found new on ebay for $150 ish, professional install is usually $200 ish. The small blinking blue light will warn most theives of the alarm's presence, if they ignore it, a broken window will trigger the siren and page your remote so you can run outside shooting or call the police if its too late, siren may scare them off before grabbing your detector as well. food for thought.
__________________
RL360C+ZW5
max 3
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old September 6th, 2013
Chrisngrod Chrisngrod is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinu454 View Post
rule one never leave in plain sight it also helps to keep your suction cups stuck somewhere harder to see. its not un common for thieves to see unused windshield mounts and assume there is good stuff to be had. Another great solution is an aftermarket alarm. a viper responder 350 and glass break sensor can be found new on ebay for $150 ish, professional install is usually $200 ish. The small blinking blue light will warn most theives of the alarm's presence, if they ignore it, a broken window will trigger the siren and page your remote so you can run outside shooting or call the police if its too late, siren may scare them off before grabbing your detector as well. food for thought.
If I get the Max, there will be no Blendmount solution available immediately. So I guess I will have to pull the mount as well.

That's what's going in today. 350 w/ glass break sensor. Good recommendation .
__________________
Passport Max (almost)
Passport 9500ix (stolen)
Passport 8500 x50 (sold)

11B2P -> 37F2P Jumpmaster
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old September 6th, 2013
GregK's Avatar
GregK GregK is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Palatine, IL.
Posts: 716
Default

Okay. As a retired LEO myself, I once warned everyone here that the empty mount in a car will tip off thieves. I also warned that if you remove the suction cup mount, the thieves will see the ring left behind on the glass.

I was basically laughed at by a few. I only have 21 years experience in taking theft and vandalism reports as well as interrogating the scum that we catch.

Anyhow, the less you leave them, the safer you are. True, many thieves will not smash and grab if they do not see the actual RD. Others will.

I decided that when out and about, I will use a bean bag. Its not my first choice, but it is easily removed and put on the floor of the car. At night it all goes inside my house.

By the way, in my 21 years I cannot recall one theft being prevented because of an alarm system. Your alarm may be fast and loud..but the truly experienced thieves are faster. A car alarm does work for what we called "nuisance Thieves"; Kids that like to break into a car just for the fun of it and to see what they can steal. They normally run like hell when the alarm goes off. Nonetheless..the pro will not break into your car unless you have exactly what he needs. He will not be deterred by an alarm.

Just My Humble Opinion.
__________________
Greg
<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>
PLEASE...Help Save An Innocent Life !
www.aspca.org
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old September 7th, 2013
STiMULi's Avatar
STiMULi STiMULi is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK View Post
Okay. As a retired LEO myself, I once warned everyone here that the empty mount in a car will tip off thieves. I also warned that if you remove the suction cup mount, the thieves will see the ring left behind on the glass.

I was basically laughed at by a few. I only have 21 years experience in taking theft and vandalism reports as well as interrogating the scum that we catch.

Anyhow, the less you leave them, the safer you are. True, many thieves will not smash and grab if they do not see the actual RD. Others will.

I decided that when out and about, I will use a bean bag. Its not my first choice, but it is easily removed and put on the floor of the car. At night it all goes inside my house.

By the way, in my 21 years I cannot recall one theft being prevented because of an alarm system. Your alarm may be fast and loud..but the truly experienced thieves are faster. A car alarm does work for what we called "nuisance Thieves"; Kids that like to break into a car just for the fun of it and to see what they can steal. They normally run like hell when the alarm goes off. Nonetheless..the pro will not break into your car unless you have exactly what he needs. He will not be deterred by an alarm.

Just My Humble Opinion.
Good info.

I had over $2000 of goods stolen the same way. Te insurance company laughed the PCSO snickered. (Not really but it felt like it).

Shortly after that my wife's car was broken into.

We haul it in and out of the house now. Otherwise it goes in the trunk and the trunk is locked. It's not foolproof but it's been 10 years. Before that there was always something about every 2 years or so.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman

...The new Max received radar signals (all bands) from beyond all previous recorded tests to date for any and all detectors. With final production software, the Max is the longest range radar detector available ever, for all guns, all bands.
Are we there yet?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
9500ix, passport, stolen

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2018 Escort Inc.