Escort Radar Forum  

Go Back   Escort Radar Forum > Windshield Radar Detectors > Passport 9500ix, S75G

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 11th, 2017
jagerx9 jagerx9 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 7
Default False laser detection only near windshield

Hey guys

At wits end here. Have an older 9500ix rev B that I have had for ages. After a while being uninstalled, I put it in a new car to find that, for some reason, it throws a Laser warning if it's mounted right at the windshield. If I point it literally anywhere else, or move it further from the windshield, it works normally. If I disable laser, I get a "highway workers ahead" notice.

Tried cleaning various internals with alcohol. No luck. Any other advice for me?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old November 11th, 2017
TBNTX's Avatar
TBNTX TBNTX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 6,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagerx9 View Post
Hey guys

At wits end here. Have an older 9500ix rev B that I have had for ages. After a while being uninstalled, I put it in a new car to find that, for some reason, it throws a Laser warning if it's mounted right at the windshield. If I point it literally anywhere else, or move it further from the windshield, it works normally. If I disable laser, I get a "highway workers ahead" notice.

Tried cleaning various internals with alcohol. No luck. Any other advice for me?
Does your new car has an in-dash LED console? Those have been shown to cause false laser alerts. I've also recently learned some vehicles with heads-up-displays can also trigger them.

What vehicle are you driving?
__________________


Countermeasures:

Radar Detectors: Max 360c, Redline EX, Max 360, & others plus Escort Live!
Dashcam: Escort M1 and Thinkware F750

-------------------------------------
Moderators here are not Escort employees.

If you need immediate help, please call Escort Radar customer service right after they open at 9:00 A.M. Eastern time, at 1-800-543-1608, option 2. Wait for the pause following the message and use the option for a call-back.
-------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old November 11th, 2017
jagerx9 jagerx9 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBNTX View Post
Does your new car has an in-dash LED console? Those have been shown to cause false laser alerts. I've also recently learned some vehicles with heads-up-displays can also trigger them.

What vehicle are you driving?
Hmm yes it does. It's a 2018 M2. There is an LED portion in the dashboard as well as a nav.

There is surely some interaction with the windshield, as if I just add some distance between the detector receiver and the windshield, the problem goes away. Super weird. You have me thinking about it now, as there is also an adaptive LED prism near it for light detection typical to most modern light-sensing cars.

I'd consider picking a newer unit up but not if they all have this issue.

Last edited by jagerx9; November 11th, 2017 at 11:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old November 12th, 2017
TBNTX's Avatar
TBNTX TBNTX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 6,890
Default

I suspect that it's the LED panel, but I'm not sure about the adaptive LED prism because I think that it's more-or-less receiving light, not transmitting it. I con't know.

As long as any detector is designed to pick-up laser, there is the potential that those could be triggered by the LED panel in your car. You could disable Laser Detection if it's not widely used in your area. After all, detecting a laser "hit" is usually of little value. It usually is just the detector letting you know that the LEO has your speed.

For real defense against laser, you'll want to look at a laser shifter / jammer package. The heads are mounted in the grill and rear bumper of your vehicle, so they wouldn't "see" the light coming from your LED panel. They'll also give you a better chance of thwarting a Laser speed gun.
__________________


Countermeasures:

Radar Detectors: Max 360c, Redline EX, Max 360, & others plus Escort Live!
Dashcam: Escort M1 and Thinkware F750

-------------------------------------
Moderators here are not Escort employees.

If you need immediate help, please call Escort Radar customer service right after they open at 9:00 A.M. Eastern time, at 1-800-543-1608, option 2. Wait for the pause following the message and use the option for a call-back.
-------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old November 12th, 2017
jagerx9 jagerx9 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBNTX View Post
I suspect that it's the LED panel, but I'm not sure about the adaptive LED prism because I think that it's more-or-less receiving light, not transmitting it. I con't know.

As long as any detector is designed to pick-up laser, there is the potential that those could be triggered by the LED panel in your car. You could disable Laser Detection if it's not widely used in your area. After all, detecting a laser "hit" is usually of little value. It usually is just the detector letting you know that the LEO has your speed.

For real defense against laser, you'll want to look at a laser shifter / jammer package. The heads are mounted in the grill and rear bumper of your vehicle, so they wouldn't "see" the light coming from your LED panel. They'll also give you a better chance of thwarting a Laser speed gun.
Agreed however there's a more serious issue here. If I disable Laser, I get a false "highway workers ahead" warning constantly.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old November 12th, 2017
06142020 06142020 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 45
Default

Does it have gesture control?

I've seen the constant laser falsing issue in a new BMW with gesture control. It's possible the IR is reflecting off the window and setting it off when it gets close.

Also, nice car

I think a brand new M2 deserves something a little nicer than a 9500ix, don't you

Have you read about the Max360Ci? Before you scoff at the price, get a quote from a couple dealers. I was very surprised.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old November 12th, 2017
jagerx9 jagerx9 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06142020 View Post
Does it have gesture control?

I've seen the constant laser falsing issue in a new BMW with gesture control. It's possible the IR is reflecting off the window and setting it off when it gets close.

Also, nice car

I think a brand new M2 deserves something a little nicer than a 9500ix, don't you

Have you read about the Max360Ci? Before you scoff at the price, get a quote from a couple dealers. I was very surprised.
No gesture control on the M2. Wonder if there's something similar going on though.

Yeah actually I would like to upgrade to the 360 but not if there will be issues. I see no reason why the 360 or any other Escort detector would be immune to the same issue plaguing my 9500ix.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old November 12th, 2017
06142020 06142020 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagerx9 View Post
Yeah actually I would like to upgrade to the 360 but not if there will be issues. I see no reason why the 360 or any other Escort detector would be immune to the same issue plaguing my 9500ix.
The Max360Ci is a remote installed detector/laser jammer solution, and wouldn't have this problem: https://www.escortradar.com/maxci360/

If you want to stick with a WS mount, you could just disable laser. In most cases, it serves as nothing more than a "ticket notifier".
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old November 12th, 2017
jagerx9 jagerx9 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06142020 View Post
The Max360Ci is a remote installed detector/laser jammer solution, and wouldn't have this problem: https://www.escortradar.com/maxci360/

If you want to stick with a WS mount, you could just disable laser. In most cases, it serves as nothing more than a "ticket notifier".
No doubt, but as I mentioned, the detector is still inoperable as if I disable laser, I get "highway workers ahead" the whole time.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old November 12th, 2017
TBNTX's Avatar
TBNTX TBNTX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 6,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagerx9 View Post
No doubt, but as I mentioned, the detector is still inoperable as if I disable laser, I get "highway workers ahead" the whole time.
Given the design of your new vehicle, Jagerx9, any windshield-mounted detector might react to the in-dash LED display. You might have to look into an installed detector such as the Max Ci, because its sensors/shifters are mounted externally.
__________________


Countermeasures:

Radar Detectors: Max 360c, Redline EX, Max 360, & others plus Escort Live!
Dashcam: Escort M1 and Thinkware F750

-------------------------------------
Moderators here are not Escort employees.

If you need immediate help, please call Escort Radar customer service right after they open at 9:00 A.M. Eastern time, at 1-800-543-1608, option 2. Wait for the pause following the message and use the option for a call-back.
-------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
9500ix

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2018 Escort Inc.