Escort Radar Forum  

Go Back   Escort Radar Forum > Windshield Radar Detectors > Max 360

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 16th, 2017
kamiller42 kamiller42 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3
Default Poor Laser Detection

After a couple of decades or more of using Escort detectors, I get my first ticket while using one. And it happens to be the most expensive and "sophisticated" of the bunch.

It was a clear day. Going 10 over. Cop was well hidden. He tagged me with a laser at 1,022 feet. My Max 360 gave 0 indication of laser. Not a beep or burp, and the laser was aimed straight at me.

Getting pulled over with a detector is disappointing. Getting pulled over with the detector giving no indication under textbook conditions is very disappointing.

I noticed a trend in the user reviews with the Max 360 and laser detection. Early reviews say the detector is overly sensitive. Some even reporting the detection constantly going off. Later ones complain of little to no laser detection.

Did the last software update compromise laser detection?

My experience is exactly like this guy's.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old February 16th, 2017
TBNTX's Avatar
TBNTX TBNTX is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 5,099
Default

First, Laser detection isn't the same as Laser protection. A detector is worthless against Laser, except in some rare "scatter" scenarios. It's entirely possible that the LEO aimed low enough that your detector couldn't "see" the LIDAR threat. See this sticky post about the differences between Laser speed guns and Radar speed guns.

Secondly, even if your detector alerted you, it's too late to do anything about it. The LEO has already logged your speed. To be more completely protected, you need active counter-measures like a Laser Jammer / Shifter.

I'm sorry that you got cited, but a detector is insufficient to help many drivers. This is a well-established fact that has been discussed on this forum and on other driving enthusiast forums, too. If you use this forum's search tools, you'll find posts confirming these facts yourself.

So don't blame the Max 360, or any other detector for that matter. A detector is worthless against Laser.
__________________


Countermeasures:

Radar Detectors: Max 360, Max 2, 9500ix, Escort Live!
LIDAR Defense: Escort LSP + Veil G4
Phone: Apple iPhone 6s (128 GB) + AT&T
CB: Midland 75-822
HAM: Yaesu FT-7900R, Baofeng UV-5R, UV-3R
Scanner: GRE PSR-500 (Triple-trunking)
GPS: iPhone 6s with GPS Plus and Waze
Dashcam: Thinkware F750 (backup: DOD LS430W)

Last edited by TBNTX; February 16th, 2017 at 10:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old February 17th, 2017
kamiller42 kamiller42 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBNTX View Post
First, Laser detection isn't the same as Laser protection. A detector is worthless against Laser, except in some rare "scatter" scenarios. It's entirely possible that the LEO aimed low enough that your detector couldn't "see" the LIDAR threat. See this sticky post about the differences between Laser speed guns and Radar speed guns.
Thank you for your linked posted. Good stuff.

Quote:
Secondly, even if your detector alerted you, it's too late to do anything about it. The LEO has already logged your speed.
That's okay. At least my detector detected something. I would rather false laser alerts than none at all. I had a Beltronics that used to go off when I was near laser ceilometers. Annoying but erroring on the side of caution.

I guess expected more from a detector that advertises "extreme range, lightning fast response time, pinpoint precision and directional alert display. Itís the most advanced radar/laser detector on the market."

I didn't experience any of that. It is possible the officer got a lucky low shot from over 1,000 feet, aiming for the license plate. And I will look into the laser jammer/shifters as I think lasers are becoming more and more common.

Quote:
So don't blame the Max 360, or any other detector for that matter. A detector is worthless against Laser.
If true, then the marketing material should remove all references to laser detection (Max 360) or protection (Escort IX). Mine did not detect or protect.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old February 17th, 2017
EscortRadar's Avatar
EscortRadar EscortRadar is offline
Official Escort Rep
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14,164
Default

The Max 360 has no problem detecting laser, when laser is aimed at it. It is possible where you mounted it was not ideal for laser detection or your particular unit has an issue detection laser. We would be happy to look at it.

As TBNTX pointed out, there are many factors which influence laser detection and in most cases a laser detector simply lets you know your speed has been measured.

If you purchased the Max 360 from us during the promotion period, then we will reimburse you for the ticket. You would have received the paperwork with your unit if you are applicable.

Chris, who you quoted, ends his review with the correct advice. Get a laser shifter.
__________________

Escort Radar customer service is available from 8am-5:30pm Eastern Time Mon-Fri at 1-800-543-1608 or by live chat
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old February 17th, 2017
kamiller42 kamiller42 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscortRadar View Post
The Max 360 has no problem detecting laser, when laser is aimed at it. It is possible where you mounted it was not ideal for laser detection or your particular unit has an issue detection laser. We would be happy to look at it.
Thank you. It is currently mounted mid-windshield, slightly off center to the passenger side. I thought about moving to center, just above the windshield wipers. Better?

Quote:
If you purchased the Max 360 from us during the promotion period, then we will reimburse you for the ticket. You would have received the paperwork with your unit if you are applicable.
I did buy during promotional period, but from an authorized dealer.

Quote:
Chris, who you quoted, ends his review with the correct advice. Get a laser shifter.
I've been reading about it. Doesn't look like legal in my state, Texas.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old February 17th, 2017
TBNTX's Avatar
TBNTX TBNTX is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 5,099
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamiller42 View Post
Thank you. It is currently mounted mid-windshield, slightly off center to the passenger side. I thought about moving to center, just above the windshield wipers. Better?
For the best possible Laser detection, mount the detector low on the windshield in the center. Unfortunately, this isn't the best position for Radar detection.
__________________


Countermeasures:

Radar Detectors: Max 360, Max 2, 9500ix, Escort Live!
LIDAR Defense: Escort LSP + Veil G4
Phone: Apple iPhone 6s (128 GB) + AT&T
CB: Midland 75-822
HAM: Yaesu FT-7900R, Baofeng UV-5R, UV-3R
Scanner: GRE PSR-500 (Triple-trunking)
GPS: iPhone 6s with GPS Plus and Waze
Dashcam: Thinkware F750 (backup: DOD LS430W)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old February 20th, 2017
EscortRadar's Avatar
EscortRadar EscortRadar is offline
Official Escort Rep
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14,164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamiller42 View Post
I did buy during promotional period, but from an authorized dealer.
The ticket reimbursement guarantee was only available if the detector was purchased directly from us.
__________________

Escort Radar customer service is available from 8am-5:30pm Eastern Time Mon-Fri at 1-800-543-1608 or by live chat
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2012 Escort Inc.